Skip to main content

Christmas, New Years, and the Earthquake

Hello everyone.  I know by now most everyone knows that we are okay here in Haiti.  We did feel the earthquake and it lasted a long time.  We have felt several aftershocks since then.  There does not appear to be structural damage to our buildings.  Our children are okay, but they are heartbroken by what has happened to the people in their country.  I have shown them pictures so they are aware of the reality of the situation.  As you know, the worst is in Port-Au-Prince.  We have several staff that have left to go there, trying to find mothers, fathers, children, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends.  A few of them have returned.  One young man that I have known for years came back today letting me know his family is alive, but some of his friends had died.  He said, "Mami Karris, I have never in my life seen anything like that..."  He said he had to step over dead bodies as he walked the streets.  He saw limbs and body parts.  He also saw people sitting and praying and singing to Jesus.

Perhaps one of the saddest pictures and video I saw was today.  Dumpsters, full of bodies, being dumped into a mass grave.  I don't have words to describe what I feel...just tears.  I want to know their name.  I want to know who they are.  I want to know if they have children.  I want to know their last words.  I want to know if they knew Jesus before they died.  I have always known that God knows our name and that He knows every single hair that is on our head.  That knowledge has become even more of a reality to me over the past few days.

Words cannot express the overwhelming love that I feel for the hundreds of Facebook comments, messages, wall posts, and emails.  People from elementary school and middle school and people from high school that I have not spoken to in years have contacted me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Thank you for your prayers for the Haitian people.  I will try to respond to everyone...one day.

I am grateful that we are safe, but I am heartbroken.  I moved to Haiti on September 9th, 2002, and have seen so much suffering, but have seen the amazing strength of these people.  The events of the past few days have been almost unimaginable.   They suffered before, but now this?  One verse that I keep hearing over and over again in my heart is from Psalm 34:18, "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those that are crushed in spirit."

Usually in times like this, there are questions.  I have them as well, but I am not God and I know I will never know the answers.  One thing I do know is that I trust God more today than I did since the tragedy hit.  I love Him more today than I did 3 days ago.  Over the past few years, I have thanked God hundreds of times, maybe thousands, for the privilege of meeting people who will NEVER make the news headlines...those who suffer silently.  The day BEFORE the earthquake hit, I was checking the news headlines on my Blackberry and they were about the NBC late night show saga and UT football drama and I thought, "Really?"  Thousands of people in the world are suffering, dying, and starving.  Thousands of inspiring stories and this makes news headlines?  The world is suffering (Haiti, America, and the list goes on and on) and the media is writing articles about who is wearing what to the Golden Globes??!!!  I am going to stop there because, well, I just will.

I hope and pray as the weeks pass, Haiti continues to stay in people's minds.  I am thankful in a bittersweet way that there is a face to suffering that is shown all around the world.   Although the pictures being shown in media are graphic, they need to be shown.  Our hearts need to be broken.  Not just for a few days.  Not just for a few weeks.  Not just until the next tragedy hits.  But, our hearts need to become broken forever.  I pray that suffering people stay in people's minds.  I pray that life does not get back to "normal" for you and for me.

I am thankful to the countries around the world that have offered help.  Seeing the pictures of the planes landing and different nationalities helping has brought me to tears.  I have always been proud to be an American, but now I am even more so.  President Obama's words the other day touched my heart and made me so grateful for him and our country.  He said it best when he said this:


   "Finally, I want to speak directly to the people of Haiti. Few in the world have endured the hardships that you have known. Long before this tragedy, daily life itself was often a bitter struggle. And after suffering so much for so long, to face this new horror must cause some to look up and ask, have we somehow been forsaken?


To the people of Haiti, we say clearly, and with conviction, you will not be forsaken; you will not be forgotten. In this, your hour of greatest need, America stands with you. The world stands with you. We know that you are a strong and resilient people. You have endured a history of slavery and struggle, of natural disaster and recovery. And through it all, your spirit has been unbroken and your faith has been unwavering. So today, you must know that help is arriving -- much, much more help is on the way."
 
On another note, I try to spend every New Years spending some time alone, reflecting on the past year and the year ahead.  I had a wonderful Christmas here in Haiti and below are some pictures.  On January 1st of this year, just a few weeks ago, I sat down to write my thoughts.  I meant to  post it on my blog and got really busy and then the earthquake hit.  If you scroll down, you will see what I wrote.  Thank you once again for taking the time to read this blog and I will try to keep everyone posted as often as I can.  

         
      







             














(The part below was written on January 1st, 2010)

I have been sitting here, staring at my computer, for 5 minutes, wondering where to start this.  As I write this, I am crying, simply because I cannot begin to express my sincere gratitude to God for allowing me to live this life.   The longer you have been a part of something, 2 things can happen.  Either your heart drifts or it becomes more attached.  The latter has happened to me. 

I see God everywhere.  I see Him when I look at our property that used to be a field where cattle and cactus stood.  Today, on that property, we have a church, school, cafeteria, boy’s home, and a playground.  I don’t see buildings, but God. I see Him when I look into the face of people that are suffering.  I see Him when I walk through the village.  I see Him when I see our children laughing.   I see Him when I am in my office, working on receipts; in complete awe of how there always seems to be enough to pay the bills, pay the staff, pay for construction supplies and labor for our new children's hospital, and continue to do what we do. 

Last night, our church had a service that lasted until midnight.  We were singing a song in Creole that many of you might know. 

“There is none like You... No one else can touch my heart like You do…I can search for all eternity, Lord, and find there is none like you.” 

The words are simple, yet so profound.  The longer I am in Haiti, the more suffering I see.  The more injustice I see.  Yet, I am able to say that there is truly none like Him.  No one, no thing, no person, has touched my life the way He has.  I see lives that have been changed.   In 2002, when I came to visit for one week, Jocelyn, a 8 year old boy, was basically a street child.  Later that year, he came to live in the orphanage.  Now he is 16 years old and just a week ago, at our Christmas party for the children, he got up to sing a song and then started to worship God.  Our party turned into a full out worship service, with the presence of God so strong.  

When I look back at 2009, I see things I could have done better.   I grew in a lot of areas, yet failed in several.   I was thinking on New Years’ Eve about how 10 years ago, I would have never imagined I would be where I am and who I am in 2009.  I had my life planned and I was certain God would work according to my plan since I was serving Him.   My journals prove it and are quite funny now as I go back and read them.  I was going to graduate high school, go to college, get married, have children, then be a missionary.  In Proverbs 16:9, it says, “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.”  Obviously, God had other plans and decided to work in the reverse order and I am so glad He did.  He has been my strength, my provider (emotionally and financially!),  my comfort, and the list goes on and on.  

I know there might be people that read this that do not feel the same way.   You might believe in God or you might not.  I know many of you have had a difficult year , whether it was due to losing a family member or a child.  Some of you have lost your job.  Some have been through a divorce.   You might not see God in your suffering.  You might not sense His presence.  Please know that you are in my prayers and thoughts often.   



Comments

  1. Karris - what a beautiful post and what a beautiful person you are. I think of you and everyone at Danita's Children on a daily basis, as well as the people of Haiti. Thank you for all you do. Love and Prayers, Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karris, I am so thankful that you listened to God's plan and not your own. Thank you for being the arms and hands and feet and mouth and eyes and heart of Jesus for so many. I am so thankful that you are there in Haiti. You have our prayers. This suffering has pierced my soul in a fresh way...sometimes I worry that I have become indifferent to the plight of those who are in deep need because I have so much. Thank you for putting words to what I long to feel and to be. I remember as a young girl that the "call" was evident upon your life, and yet all of us who know and love him are called. Thank you precious Karris for your love for Haiti. It is His love.
    http:www.ifstonescouldtalk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying for all of you! I love you Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karris,

    Your words have made me cry, but they are tears of love, happiness, and peace. I love you so much, and my heart belongs to the Lord and the Lord has directed each of my steps as He has your's. Thank you for being open with all your friends and family...it brings me pure joy to see your heart through your words. I love you and miss you, but will see you soon!

    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. karris, thank you for sharing your entries from your journal and blog. I think of you often and want to be apart of the healing of haiti and partner in prayer and support of danita's children. thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus for the precious children of haiti. We are praying for you during this time of transition in haiti. love to you, sarah brewer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karris, I'm Ross Stowers' mom. I remember your sweet heart and face and the time we had at CPA. I'm so touched by your post. I'll keep you and the children as well as the entire country of Haiti in my prayers. Thank you so much for sharing this with us and for being obedient to the call of God on your life. You are an inspiration. Blessings on you! Connie Stowers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Karris,
    Though we have never met we now meet through this incredible network of social media we call Facebook. I read your message on Gwen's page and saw you are in Haiti. God bless you and your efforts there. My father passed away on Thanksgiving day, my sister and I talked for two weeks as we packed his house and that is when I found out about 147 Million Orphans. Then as I planned a trip to Franklin to see my sis I set up a lunch date with Suzanne and Gwen, another divine appointment. Now, God has crossed our path for whatever reason that are His. I host a live online bible study show on Momtv.com every Mon called Madre Minutes and have asked them to join me. I know this is a hard time for you but if it would help raise more awareness for Dannitas children you are welcome to come on the show. You need not be present and only need a webcam. I know people here would be encouraged by your strength and testimony. It would help us to know what we are able to do for the people of Haiti. My hope is that I can do something to help. Please know that the people of Haiti are on American hearts and our prayers are being lifted up. May He bring you rest, joy every morning as the dust begins to settle and grace to understand the meaning of it all. You can reach me at btc1959@mac.com or madreminutes.blogspot.com where you can also learn more about the show.
    Take care and bless you,
    Barbara Collins†
    madreminutes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karris,

    My name is Sari. I recently added you on facebook..but don't worry if you don't remember. I'm sure you get a ton of friend requests. I stumbled upon Danita's children and your story on Leslie Ludy's website. Since then, my heart is taken, stolen by those precious children that you serve everyday. Deep within my heart I was very captivated when I read over all sorts of things about you ladies and the orphanage. So, because of this, I have found your blog and just wanted to let you know that even in a small town in New Mexico, you have a sister in Christ who is praying and thinking of you, Danita, and all the other people you guys work with! And of course, those beautiful Glories of God that you live to serve.

    I praise Him for so many things right now. He is our soul's Husband and though I need and yearn for more faith, He is softening my soul more and more, so that when I hear stories of His faithfulness, I am not surprised. I KNOW that it is what He does! He is faithful till the end. Even in this moment. We can expect great and mighty things from Him and from no one else!

    So thank you for doing what you do, for representing Christ to me.. even over a computer, even in a totally different place. There is unity in our God, in His Spirit!

    Much love,
    Sari

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing, you are an true encouragement and example for women today. I am praying for you and the suffering of all the people there in Haiti.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jet lag, bugs, and the single life

So, it is 2 a.m. and I am in Haiti, still awake, wide-awake, thanks to jet lag from getting in from Los Angeles.   Oh, and I am getting attacked by bugs in my room.   The kinds that shoot from the light on the ceiling fan and slap you in the face, or leg, or arm.   So, there’s that. On another note, I am drawn to write a blog on something that I know the Lord has wanted me to write about for a while.   Several times in the past year, I have sat at my computer multiple times. I would type, then erase, type then erase, and so on, but it just didn’t feel like the words were coming out the right way and it just wasn't the right time.   Tonight feels different.   Usually most of my blog posts are about stories of my life in Haiti. This one is not…it is more personal...it is one that I have been hesitant to write about for a few reasons.  It is about...drum roll..."singleness".    So, to all the single ladies (and men), here it goes: If you would have told me

One of my heroes...

Most of the time before I begin to write, I sit for a few minutes, waiting…waiting…waiting…I am not sure where to start.   I probably say this everytime, but I wish I could tell all of the stories from the past few months.   Stories of hope and restoration and healing.   It has truly been amazing.   Many times over the past few months, I have sat down to write or wanted to and I just can’t. I never want to post something on here that is “just” a story.   I want it to speak to me.   I want it to touch me first.   I want it to make me cry.   I write because I hope that these stories inspire you to grow closer to the Lord and if they do not, than they are just words.     As you grow closer to Him, you see people.   You see their needs. You see people’s sufferings.    I don’t desire to be praised for what I do or considered a hero.  I am not a hero.   I am simply someone that was chosen by God to live in Haiti and to help relieve the sufferings of people.   The older I get, the more I