Skip to main content

Enjoy the moments...

First of all, I just realized from looking at my 1st two posts that they were both written at about 2:30 a.m and now this one is no different!  Obviously, my sleeping patterns are a little off schedule.  Not too smart because when 5 a.m rolls around and the kids need to be woken up, I can't think of anything else except cafĂ© con leche. 

Davidson and I left the hospital yesterday!  Thank you for all of your prayers and support.  I am so grateful to God that we were able to get him to a private hospital with good medical care.  I remember listening to Danita's stories of the early days, having to go to public hospitals (which is another story), trying to sleep in metal chairs.  When I first moved to Haiti, I went to those hospitals in the DR on numerous occasions as well.  So, the past couple of days, being in a hospital room with a semi-comfortable couch, has made me grateful to God…once again!  I have learned to come prepared on every trip, especially when it is one with a child…baby wipes…check…plastic bags…check…snacks…check…digital thermometer…check…pepto-bismol and Motrin…check.  So, this time I brought a Gameboy and Connect Four.  Davidson and I played 11 games straight of Connect Four in the hospital room.  He won 8 and I won 3.  The sad part is that I did not let him win for the sake of being a nice "mami."  He is just that good.  As you can tell by my face, I was not too happy.



 
He has not had any breathing problems since Sunday night and we are hoping and praying that it stays that way forever!  He is still on some medication and nebulized medicine to prevent asthma attacks, but all is well…thank you, Lord.  After we were discharged from the hospital yesterday, we came back to the hotel here in Santiago.  I wanted to keep him here for a couple of days just to make sure there were no more problems.  It is always fun seeing our children enjoy their "firsts!"  He had pizza for the first time in his life today!  He went to an arcade in a local mall for the first time in his life today and I taught him how to play Skee-ball and air hockey!  He had so much fun and had the biggest smile.  But when I asked him if he wanted to go back to Haiti tomorrow, he said "Yes."   And I agreed…you can only take so much of excess and then your heart aches for simplicity and familiarity.  

One of the biggest misconceptions about what we do in Haiti is that we sit around and play with children all day.  The truth is: we long to do more of that, but there is so much work to do besides spending time with the children.  Paying our weekly bills, paying the staff, ordering construction materials, negotiating contracts, solving immigration issues, repairing generators and inverters, paperwork, filing, coordinating mission trips, making reservations, writing newsletters, communicating with donors, Won by One sponsorship program, email correspondence, and the list goes on and on and on.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy doing all of that and it comes with this life.  So, when it comes to the children, I have learned to enjoy the moments!   All of that to say, I had a moment yesterday, all because of Davidson.  I will preface this story by saying that he is NOT a talker.  He will talk if you engage him, but he is a little man with few words, yet he shows his love in cute homemade letters and acts of service.

Yesterday afternoon, I ran by the grocery store and picked up some heathy essentials…Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread) and crackers.  We came back to the hotel room, sat at the table, and ate dinner.  Then I had some emails to work on, schoolwork to do for one of my college classes, and had about 3 phone calls.  In the midst of doing this, I was not even aware of what Davidson was doing.  After about an hour, I had finished my phone calls and looked over to the left and was SHOCKED.  He had cleaned the table and set it up for the two of us to eat dessert!  He had found plates, glasses, ice, and a placemat and put the Nutella and crackers on the table.  So, we ate our dessert together and then he stood up, took my plate and washed it for me!  It was one of the sweetest moments of my life because of his simple act of love.  Another reminder that God uses children to teach us the greatest lessons of life...

Tonight, I asked him to pray before we ate and in Creole, I heard him say:
 "Lord, thank you because I am not walking the streets anymore."

  Thank you for reading this and thank you for your prayers.

Comments

  1. thank you for sharing - what a precious story! Yes God is good and faithful. Davidson sounds like he has such a sweet and thankful heart!
    Karen Sheehan

    ReplyDelete
  2. karris,
    i love keeping up with your blog and seeing what God is doing in haiti. thank you for sharing your heart. these stories bless me so much.
    love,
    rebekah (anderson) wright

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I LOVE that you started this blog!! So thankful that we can keep up with more of your daily struggles and victories in the Lord! Praise God from whom all blessing flow!!!
    Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karris,
    You're an angel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jet lag, bugs, and the single life

So, it is 2 a.m. and I am in Haiti, still awake, wide-awake, thanks to jet lag from getting in from Los Angeles.   Oh, and I am getting attacked by bugs in my room.   The kinds that shoot from the light on the ceiling fan and slap you in the face, or leg, or arm.   So, there’s that. On another note, I am drawn to write a blog on something that I know the Lord has wanted me to write about for a while.   Several times in the past year, I have sat at my computer multiple times. I would type, then erase, type then erase, and so on, but it just didn’t feel like the words were coming out the right way and it just wasn't the right time.   Tonight feels different.   Usually most of my blog posts are about stories of my life in Haiti. This one is not…it is more personal...it is one that I have been hesitant to write about for a few reasons.  It is about...drum roll..."singleness".    So, to all the single ladies (and men), here it goes: If you would have told me

One of my heroes...

Most of the time before I begin to write, I sit for a few minutes, waiting…waiting…waiting…I am not sure where to start.   I probably say this everytime, but I wish I could tell all of the stories from the past few months.   Stories of hope and restoration and healing.   It has truly been amazing.   Many times over the past few months, I have sat down to write or wanted to and I just can’t. I never want to post something on here that is “just” a story.   I want it to speak to me.   I want it to touch me first.   I want it to make me cry.   I write because I hope that these stories inspire you to grow closer to the Lord and if they do not, than they are just words.     As you grow closer to Him, you see people.   You see their needs. You see people’s sufferings.    I don’t desire to be praised for what I do or considered a hero.  I am not a hero.   I am simply someone that was chosen by God to live in Haiti and to help relieve the sufferings of people.   The older I get, the more I

Christmas, New Years, and the Earthquake

Hello everyone.  I know by now most everyone knows that we are okay here in Haiti.  We did feel the earthquake and it lasted a long time.  We have felt several aftershocks since then.  There does not appear to be structural damage to our buildings.  Our children are okay, but they are heartbroken by what has happened to the people in their country.  I have shown them pictures so they are aware of the reality of the situation.  As you know, the worst is in Port-Au-Prince.  We have several staff that have left to go there, trying to find mothers, fathers, children, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends.  A few of them have returned.  One young man that I have known for years came back today letting me know his family is alive, but some of his friends had died.  He said, "Mami Karris, I have never in my life seen anything like that..."  He said he had to step over dead bodies as he walked the streets.  He saw limbs and body parts.  He also saw people sitting and praying and singin