Skip to main content

Grateful...

There are sometimes here in Haiti that I find myself welling up with tears and I cannot hold it in.  I just sit there and tears flow and flow.  Like right now…it is not sadness, but an overwhelming gratefulness to the Lord for who He is in my life and in the lives of those around me.   Everyday there are usually several times where I tear up, but it is usually at night when they come strongly, when all the kids are in bed, lights are out, generator is off, and it is just God and I.  These are the most precious moments and I would not trade anything in the world for them. I look back at my life and am grateful that God knows what is best, He knows that what we might want for our lives is not what He wants or it might not be the right timing. 

I think back 15 years ago and how I thought my life would turn out.  I always had a heart for the Lord and a heart to follow Him and do what I was called to do, but the order of how I thought it would happen was a little off.  I was certain I would graduate high school, go to a great college, meet the man of my dreams, fall in love, get married, have children, and then one day go into missions with my family.   Well, I have been on the 13-year degree plan but will graduate this year with a Bachelor’s degree.  God has allowed me the privilege of helping to raise almost 100 children with some incredible women here on the mission field…the other part of my plan…well, that is another post that will be dedicated to all the single ladies out there :)  I will say that God has proven to be MUCH more than a provider, a comfort,  a friend, and a rock in my life.  

When I was about to graduate high school, God slowly began to show me that my plans were not going to turn out exactly how I wanted them to.  To make a long story short, I never turned in my enrollment form at UT-Knoxville or the other schools I wanted to attend.  I obeyed God even though it hurt and stayed home the first year after high school working and attending college at night, then moved to New York when I was 18 years old and worked in the inner city for 3 years.  Then I met Danita and went to Haiti for a 1 week mission trip in February of 2002.  I moved to Haiti 6 months later in September of 2002 and I never left.  I can’t explain how much I love it here. It is not a love as in everything is comfortable or easy but a love that goes way beyond anything I have experienced.  I am grateful that God called me here in the beginning stages of the ministry because I appreciate every building, every donation, every donor, every sacrifice Danita made and makes, and every child in a deeper way.  To get a better glimpse of Danita's story and mine, please look at the short video below.

                                                         Click here to watch "Our Story"

The first child that I remember when I visited in February of 2002 is Robenson.  He was the first to greet our group at the orphanage and helped bring my suitcases inside.  He was 8 years old when he greeted me at the door for the first time.  Three years ago, Robenson almost died from a rare illness, but lived…thanks to the prayers of thousands around the world.  Robenson is now 17 years old and I am so proud of the young man he has become.  A couple of weeks ago, I pulled him aside and began to tell him how proud I am of him and could not get through it because tears were streaming down my face.  The little 8 year old boy who was the 1st face I remember from Haiti has turned into the man of our house who makes us proud, along with all the other ones God has given us....


Robenson and I (Easter of 2011)...he really is taller...I have 4 inch heels on


I am far from being where I want to be in my relationship with God.  Far from being the woman I want to be. Far from being the “mami” I want to be. Far from being the Christian I want to be.  Far from being the sister and daughter I want to be.  Far from being a hero. But, this is the reason why tears stream down my face, because no matter how far I am, He is close. He is close to the broken hearted. He is close to the suffering. He is close to the orphan. He is close to the widow. He is close to the one that has chosen to be far from Him. 

I don’t know where you are in life right now, but I know that He is calling those that are far to be close.  I don’t understand God, but I do trust Him.  I don’t understand why some people lose children. I don't understand why some children lose parents.  I don’t understand why some children go to bed hungry, night after night after night. I don’t understand why I have a family to go home to and some have never known a family or a home.  I don't understand why I have a nice bed to sleep on and outside our 4 walls, most people are sleeping a dirt or cement floor.  Even though I don't understand, I choose to trust Him. 

All of us have an opportunity every day to change someone’s life and I can promise you it does not take much.  Maybe a phone call.  Maybe a letter in the mail. Maybe a delivery of flowers.  Every one of us suffers in some way, whether people know it or not.  You don’t have to go to Haiti to find someone suffering.  You can go across the street, down the hall from your workplace, or in the chair next to you at church. 

My prayer for you and for me is that we feel God a little closer today and that someone else feels God a little closer because of us….


Grateful,

Karris








Comments

  1. So beautiful, Karris!I love your heart that seeks to obey and serve God with your life. We are so thankful for you and inspired by how God is using you in Haiti. Thank you for sharing this! Love, Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Karris. That was an affirmation to what the Lord was telling me last night and this morning. Bless you. --chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Yes, many times, we don't understand what He's up to, but we can still trust that He knows all things. May God strengthen you, Danita, and all the others who have given up comforts and dreams to live daily surrendering to Christ's bidding. May He guide and protect you!

    Elle-Alice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jet lag, bugs, and the single life

So, it is 2 a.m. and I am in Haiti, still awake, wide-awake, thanks to jet lag from getting in from Los Angeles.   Oh, and I am getting attacked by bugs in my room.   The kinds that shoot from the light on the ceiling fan and slap you in the face, or leg, or arm.   So, there’s that. On another note, I am drawn to write a blog on something that I know the Lord has wanted me to write about for a while.   Several times in the past year, I have sat at my computer multiple times. I would type, then erase, type then erase, and so on, but it just didn’t feel like the words were coming out the right way and it just wasn't the right time.   Tonight feels different.   Usually most of my blog posts are about stories of my life in Haiti. This one is not…it is more personal...it is one that I have been hesitant to write about for a few reasons.  It is about...drum roll..."singleness".    So, to all the single ladies (and men), here it goes: If you would have told me

One of my heroes...

Most of the time before I begin to write, I sit for a few minutes, waiting…waiting…waiting…I am not sure where to start.   I probably say this everytime, but I wish I could tell all of the stories from the past few months.   Stories of hope and restoration and healing.   It has truly been amazing.   Many times over the past few months, I have sat down to write or wanted to and I just can’t. I never want to post something on here that is “just” a story.   I want it to speak to me.   I want it to touch me first.   I want it to make me cry.   I write because I hope that these stories inspire you to grow closer to the Lord and if they do not, than they are just words.     As you grow closer to Him, you see people.   You see their needs. You see people’s sufferings.    I don’t desire to be praised for what I do or considered a hero.  I am not a hero.   I am simply someone that was chosen by God to live in Haiti and to help relieve the sufferings of people.   The older I get, the more I

I Love Haiti...

Most of my days are spent doing a variety of things, one of them being working in our office, handling receipts, payroll, construction orders, etc.  I LOVE doing it because I get to see the faithfulness of God and see how He provides our every need. I recently celebrated my 9-year anniversary in Haiti and am beyond grateful for the privilege of seeing the ministry grow since almost the beginning. There is something about seeing something when it is beginning to form that develops an intense appreciation when those things begin to expand.   Our Orphan Home for Special Needs Children! Almost 10 years ago, I visited Haiti for the first time.  I was living in New York and felt like a different season was coming. I had no idea where I would be going, but had a strong desire to go to the mission field and to be surrounded by extreme poverty.  After my one-week trip to Haiti, I knew that was where I was supposed to be.   All of that to say, during those 4 months in NY, my desire to r