Skip to main content

On the road...

Its 2:30 a.m in the morning (Saturday) and I'm in a taxi heading to Santiago with Davidson, one of our 10 year old boys in the orphanage, who has been having major breathing problems this past week due to asthma and bronchospasms (which is a new word I learned this week...I should have listened to my dad when I was little when he wanted to talk to me about medicine). I never wanted to be a doctor or nurse, but the past 7 years has taught me more than I thought I'd ever have to know.

I don't want to make this too long, but one of our missionaries, Brittany, was with Davidson in Santiago for almost 3 days in the hospital. They returned to Haiti and it didn't improve much. Brittany and I kept a close watch on him at the girl's house because we had to administer meds and nebulize him when he was having the breathing crisis'. The girl's house is the only house that had a working generator, which gives us electricity. Our other main generator blew up 2 weeks ago (another story).

Brittany spent last night with Davidson in a small clinic in Dajabon, the Dominican town across the border. They crossed back into Haiti today and he seemed to be doing better. The difficult part of this process has been that the breathing attacks are unpredictable. We're not sure if it is allergy-related or what, but he can be totally fine and then have an attack.

Tonight he began to have trouble breathing again, so I put some albuterol and saline solution in the nebulizer and gave him a treatment. It didn't work. Then he began to have sharp pains in his chest. I just laid my hands on him and prayed intensely...the pains persisted until he had about 7 of the sharp chest pains.

At that moment, I decided to take him to Santiago. My bags were already packed, I called Danita to let her know then took 2 of our male staff and our security guard with me to the border. Its about a 5 minute walk and at 1:00 a.m., it is pretty dark. Sorry if this sounds dramatic because to us, it is just normal. As I was walking, I welled up with tears for a moment.

* Tears of gratefulness for all the times we have had to cross children, late at night, depending on the favor and healing power of God. A little over a year ago, several of us made the same walk with Robenson, our oldest boy, who almost died that night, but is now alive and well!

* Tears of gratefulness for what is ahead. Soon we are going to have a children's hospital in Ouanaminthe that will be able to help all the "Davidsons" and "Robensons" that are out there. I prayed that God would not let me forget those 5 minute walks to the border and 3 hour drives to the nearest hospital that provides good medical care.

As I write this Davidson is sleeping, listening to worship music on my iPOD (thanks, Todd...it has come in handy!). Almost 7 years ago, we took Davidson in to live in the orphanage. He would come to our school every morning, his red shorts falling off because he was so skinny. Mami Toni, a precious missionary who was with us at the time, would give him peanut butter with crackers and juice every morning. When we would see him in the village, he was usually naked and by himself, his mother rarely present in the house. She had several other children, all by different fathers. At about 3-4 years old, he was taking care of himself. Danita has a saying "There is always room for one more"...and Davidson was that one.

Seven years later, here we are...what a privilege it is to take care of him. I'm thankful for those that make it possible for us to take care of our children day in and day out. I'm thankful to my supporters who are faithful in sending their money so that I can stay in Haiti. I'm thankful for the wonderful Godly ladies I work with in Haiti, whom I have the utmost respect for. I'm thankful for the peace and presence of God in the midst of trials.

Please keep Davidson in your prayers and I will try and update everyone as often as I can. Wherever you are today, find your "Davidson" and do something that could change a life...it doesn't take much...

Thanks for reading,

Karris
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Comments

  1. Praying for both of you, Karris. And everyone you come into contact with that can help along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching you walk away in the middle of the night with Davidson and your three body guards was a precious moment. I love watching you in those moments when a child is sick- you have this calmness about you and can somehow make kids laugh in the midst of everything. All the little boys are quieter than normal this morning, thinking and praying for Davidson...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey praying for you guys all the time. tell Davidson i miss him a ton and that im praying for him

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that Davidson was sick. Please let him know that I will be praying for him and for all of you. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jet lag, bugs, and the single life

So, it is 2 a.m. and I am in Haiti, still awake, wide-awake, thanks to jet lag from getting in from Los Angeles.   Oh, and I am getting attacked by bugs in my room.   The kinds that shoot from the light on the ceiling fan and slap you in the face, or leg, or arm.   So, there’s that. On another note, I am drawn to write a blog on something that I know the Lord has wanted me to write about for a while.   Several times in the past year, I have sat at my computer multiple times. I would type, then erase, type then erase, and so on, but it just didn’t feel like the words were coming out the right way and it just wasn't the right time.   Tonight feels different.   Usually most of my blog posts are about stories of my life in Haiti. This one is not…it is more personal...it is one that I have been hesitant to write about for a few reasons.  It is about...drum roll..."singleness".    So, to all the single ladies (and men), here it goes: If you would have told me

One of my heroes...

Most of the time before I begin to write, I sit for a few minutes, waiting…waiting…waiting…I am not sure where to start.   I probably say this everytime, but I wish I could tell all of the stories from the past few months.   Stories of hope and restoration and healing.   It has truly been amazing.   Many times over the past few months, I have sat down to write or wanted to and I just can’t. I never want to post something on here that is “just” a story.   I want it to speak to me.   I want it to touch me first.   I want it to make me cry.   I write because I hope that these stories inspire you to grow closer to the Lord and if they do not, than they are just words.     As you grow closer to Him, you see people.   You see their needs. You see people’s sufferings.    I don’t desire to be praised for what I do or considered a hero.  I am not a hero.   I am simply someone that was chosen by God to live in Haiti and to help relieve the sufferings of people.   The older I get, the more I

I Love Haiti...

Most of my days are spent doing a variety of things, one of them being working in our office, handling receipts, payroll, construction orders, etc.  I LOVE doing it because I get to see the faithfulness of God and see how He provides our every need. I recently celebrated my 9-year anniversary in Haiti and am beyond grateful for the privilege of seeing the ministry grow since almost the beginning. There is something about seeing something when it is beginning to form that develops an intense appreciation when those things begin to expand.   Our Orphan Home for Special Needs Children! Almost 10 years ago, I visited Haiti for the first time.  I was living in New York and felt like a different season was coming. I had no idea where I would be going, but had a strong desire to go to the mission field and to be surrounded by extreme poverty.  After my one-week trip to Haiti, I knew that was where I was supposed to be.   All of that to say, during those 4 months in NY, my desire to r