Skip to main content

Where do I start?






(Written Sunday, November 22, 2009)


It is 2:30 a.m. here in Haiti and I can hear the roosters crowing from my bedroom window.  The roosters here have no concept of time!  I can’t get to sleep, but it is not the roosters’ fault.  Tonight is my first night back in Haiti after being in the States for 5 weeks, so my time schedule is slightly off. 


Wow, I don’t even know where to start, but I will start off by saying that I should have started a blog about 7 years ago, when I first moved to Haiti. The truth is that so much happens in one day that it is difficult to take the time to sit down and write about it.  I am not the type of person that can just sit down and throw something together.  I have to “feel” what I am writing, simply because if I do not, how can I expect someone else to?  So, my dilemma is, “Where do I start from?”  


Do I start from when I was little, dreaming of being a missionary one day?  


Do I start from the memories I have of my mom taking me to visit the poor and suffering as a little girl?  


Do I start from when I moved to New York to work in the inner-city and learned priceless lessons about life?  


Do I start from my first one-week trip to Haiti, almost 8 years ago, when I got on the plane, heading back to the U.S, knowing that I had left my heart in Haiti?  


If I start from there, what stories do I tell?  I could tell the story of Rose-Mika, who came to us when she was 5 years old and weighed 19 pounds.  I could tell the story of Guervens, who came to us this year with the most severe form of sickle-cell anemia (http://www.danitaschildren.org/the-children/guerven-s-story/)  I could tell the story of Lubenson, who was brought to us at 6 months old with an enormous life-threatening tumor.  I could tell the story of Judelka, who was brought to us almost 6 years ago because she had been severely abused in every way by a woman who practiced witchcraft.  Rose-Mika, Guervens, Lubenson, and Judelka are just a handful of the THOUSANDS of stories I can tell of the lives that have been transformed by the love and faithfulness of God.  If you follow this link, you can read the newsletters that tell the stories of the children above (http://www.danitaschildren.org/about-us/newsletters/).





Although I wish I had started to write several years ago, I now feel that it is time to start putting my life into words and pictures and share some of that with you.  My desire is that you would not look to me, but that you would be drawn to the Lord.  I have started to go through my old journals, starting from 1998, and I have been quite amazed to see how God really does give us the desires of our hearts.  It might not be in the exact order that you want them.  In my case, it definitely was not in the exact order!  


Oftentimes when I share with people where I live and what I do, it is almost as if they feel sorry for me or they are just so impressed that I would be willing to “give up” a life in the U.S. to live in Haiti and work with orphans.   I often hear comments such as “I could never do that” or “You are sacrificing so much” or “You have really given up your life”.  I know the comments have good intentions, but the truth is, I have found my life.  I sacrifice nothing compared to what I see on a daily basis.  I wake up in the morning with joy and purpose (after I drink my coffee, of course!).  My heart is with the poor and suffering, not just in Haiti, but also around the world.  You can find all kinds of poverty, whether you live in a hut in Haiti or in a mansion in Beverly Hills.  Poverty can be defined in many ways...lack of material possessions, loneliness, depression, etc., etc., etc.


I do not attempt to understand human suffering and I have dealt with the infamous question, “If God is a God of love, how can He watch people suffer?”  I do not know the answer, but I do know that I can trust Him and I have seen His hand in the lives of those that suffer and it is an incredible honor that He would choose me (and YOU) to help relieve some of that suffering.  



              (Picture of a little blind boy in the village...I'll save his story for another day)


So, as I reflect back on the past 5 weeks of being in the United States, it brings me to tears...the good kind of tears!   I am reminded of the verse, “To whom much is given, much is required.”  I have been given much…family, friends, material possessions, grace, love, mercy, forgiveness, and purpose.   


One day we will all stand before Him and be accountable for our time on this earth... 


I close with that thought...


Karris

Comments

  1. YAY! Can't wait to read more and keep up with you better on here! I can't seem to write much on my blog, I like you seem to really have to be in the mood to write something. But I look forward to reading story after story of your wonderful time in Haiti!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. karris...
    i am so glad you are starting a blog...i've had a blog account set up since 2005, and have never posted once! you are right, sometimes it is hard to sit down and write....it will be great to follow your journey in haiti...so glad you had safe travels and i am praying for your re-entry to go smoothly...welcome home! i know you love being in haiti....i will pray for you - as i know many others are - God is hearing your name lifted up many times each day - love you, sweet girl...and can't wait to have a day sometime with you and my sweet lauren...the next time you are in nashville, we have to make sure we all get together...donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you started a blog! :) It only makes me love the people of Haiti and the ministry of Danita's Children all the more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karris: Warrior Princess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jet lag, bugs, and the single life

So, it is 2 a.m. and I am in Haiti, still awake, wide-awake, thanks to jet lag from getting in from Los Angeles.   Oh, and I am getting attacked by bugs in my room.   The kinds that shoot from the light on the ceiling fan and slap you in the face, or leg, or arm.   So, there’s that. On another note, I am drawn to write a blog on something that I know the Lord has wanted me to write about for a while.   Several times in the past year, I have sat at my computer multiple times. I would type, then erase, type then erase, and so on, but it just didn’t feel like the words were coming out the right way and it just wasn't the right time.   Tonight feels different.   Usually most of my blog posts are about stories of my life in Haiti. This one is not…it is more personal...it is one that I have been hesitant to write about for a few reasons.  It is about...drum roll..."singleness".    So, to all the single ladies (and men), here it goes: If you would have told me

One of my heroes...

Most of the time before I begin to write, I sit for a few minutes, waiting…waiting…waiting…I am not sure where to start.   I probably say this everytime, but I wish I could tell all of the stories from the past few months.   Stories of hope and restoration and healing.   It has truly been amazing.   Many times over the past few months, I have sat down to write or wanted to and I just can’t. I never want to post something on here that is “just” a story.   I want it to speak to me.   I want it to touch me first.   I want it to make me cry.   I write because I hope that these stories inspire you to grow closer to the Lord and if they do not, than they are just words.     As you grow closer to Him, you see people.   You see their needs. You see people’s sufferings.    I don’t desire to be praised for what I do or considered a hero.  I am not a hero.   I am simply someone that was chosen by God to live in Haiti and to help relieve the sufferings of people.   The older I get, the more I

I Love Haiti...

Most of my days are spent doing a variety of things, one of them being working in our office, handling receipts, payroll, construction orders, etc.  I LOVE doing it because I get to see the faithfulness of God and see how He provides our every need. I recently celebrated my 9-year anniversary in Haiti and am beyond grateful for the privilege of seeing the ministry grow since almost the beginning. There is something about seeing something when it is beginning to form that develops an intense appreciation when those things begin to expand.   Our Orphan Home for Special Needs Children! Almost 10 years ago, I visited Haiti for the first time.  I was living in New York and felt like a different season was coming. I had no idea where I would be going, but had a strong desire to go to the mission field and to be surrounded by extreme poverty.  After my one-week trip to Haiti, I knew that was where I was supposed to be.   All of that to say, during those 4 months in NY, my desire to r